Friday, October 03, 2008

The Bailout - How much is $700B???

I was reading about the bailout being passed and got to thinking... just how big is $700B? So, to try and grasp how big it is, I had to write it out:


That didn't do it for me. I can't imagine a number that big. I had to break it down further. So, I got to thinking how I could do that. I was looking at that number and thought, "Have I even lived that many seconds?" The answer is, "no."

This was how I made that huge number understandable:

28.66 <- Years I've been alive
10,460.9 <- Days I've been alive
152,061.6 <- Hours I've been alive
15,063,696 <- Minutes I've been alive
903,821,760 <- Seconds I've been alive

0.9B seconds... that means to get up to $700B, it would be like handing out $774.49 every SECOND I've been alive.

Pardon me while I faint from shock.

Yes, I checked my math. Do the same math, and for every second McCain has been alive it's only $307 ;)

Ok... just had to share that visualization of $700B with you all.


Zach said...

But $307 could have bought you a car... carriage back then!

(Sorry, I had to...)

psychobob said...

Actually, the version passed by the Congress today is $850 billion. They couldn't resist loading it with pork.
That's more like $940.45 for every second.
Or, try this on. That's $2822.65 from every man, woman, and child in America.

simplykersh said...

going with bob's math...that is half my yearly salary to pay my families share. all so that people won't feel the result of their silly investing.

On a side note, I didn't know you were a comics fan. (I don't know about you but Alan Moore's V for Vendetta and Watchmen seem appropriate right now.) How long have you been reading? I got in during the early 90's (yeah Superman's death caught me)