Saturday, April 22, 2006

The Death of an Essential Tool

Well, it happened. I plugged in my 4GB ArcDisk USB flash drive into my computer to copy over a photo I had edited at work and nothing happened. It had been slow, needing to seek for long periods of time and getting a little warm when in use. I thought a low-level format was in the near future, but I was wrong. I took it apart and found that the media it used was none other than the innerds of an iPod mini - a Hitachi 4GB Microdrive. At first I thought this was good news. This meant that I could try and read the CF card in a card reader, my camera, etc. and maybe get the data off and use it as a 4GB CF card. Well, the problem was not in the $5 USB connector with plastic shell, it was with the $150 CF card. Major bummer. This is a tool that I use daily. I carry things back and forth from my home desktop and laptop to work, church, friends and family's computers that I backup/restore/fix. I had many software tools and data that I have come to rely on in my pocket wherever I went.

So, I am in the market for a replacement. At the moment I will be using any possible media I can find as a poor substitute. If anyone has any suggestions on good reliable smallish USB drive, please e-mail me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ouch, that stinks. It is cool to see how one of those looks on the inside but a bummer that you had to find out ;-)

Good luck on your replacement search...