Sunday, February 25, 2007

SpinRite: My Hero!

I seldom promote software because software rarely impresses me. Well, software that has impressed me for awhile and continues to do so is SpinRite, by Steve Gibson. Today (Sunday) I arrived at work expecting to spend 10-12 hours rebuilding a crucial server at work. The drive that Windows was installed on died. I was going to have to replace the drive, re-install all the software, configure all the software, and make sure everything was setup just like before. TONS of work and a major headache.

Last night I fired up SpinRite as a last ditch effort to see if it could fix the bad block on my drive. It took 18 hours, but IT DID IT! I got here today and fired up the machine and it booted into Windows with zero errors. The server is back up and running like nothing happened. I was in shock.

Now, to be on the safe side, I am still going to replace the drive, but it means I can ghost the drive and I will not have to reinstall all the software and reconfigure everything.

Needless to say, I am highly recommending SpinRite to anyone that works with computers a lot. Anyone in IT or that has ever had a drive go bad. It doesn’t work all the time, but this is not the first drive that it has saved for me. It is the most time it has saved me though. Time, stress, and headache. If you work with computers at work or at home, go get SpinRite! It’s $89 and worth every cent! I can’t speak highly enough of it.

Thanks Steve! What a marvelous piece of software! I have been “wow-ed”!!

1 comment:

psychobob said...

Does it work for a physical problem like a dead read-arm???
:-(