Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Photos - 1998 to 2008

The advances of technology are changing the world in many ways. Photography and the way that consumers share their photos has changed so much in the last decade it’s incredible to think about. Ten years ago we all had film 35mm point and shoot cameras. We shot rolls of film. Rolls of film with a single ISO rating for the entire 24 or 36 exposures. Then the film sat on the kitchen counter for a few days or weeks before the next trip to Costco. Costco would ask if we wanted a single print of everything or a set of duplicates. The 4x6 prints were ready by the time we were done shopping, but family members didn’t see them until the next family get-together (which is probably that day or the next if you’re at Costco stocking up on snacks and other food). The 4x6s got passed around the room and 5 or 6 of the duplicates went to Grandma and Aunt Wilma, but the rest came back around and made their way into a shoebox under the bed. A new girlfriend/boyfriend or a high school graduation party were the only reasons for digging through those shoeboxes full of mixed prints.

Jump forward 10 years. I took my family to Baskin Robins yesterday afternoon and seconds after capturing an image of my wife and kids, it was posted to my Facebook mobile gallery and my camera phone blog. Moments once not shared with family members 20 miles away for weeks or months can now be shared with anyone in the world in a matter of seconds...very easily.

I don’t think it’s excitement or newness of having a camera phone and a webcam built into my laptop. I think this is the world of photography forever changed thanks to advances in technology. The worlds of retail and portrait photography needs to adapt quickly or they will die. People are taking more pictures than ever but buying less prints than ever. The question isn’t how to get them to buy more prints, they won’t. The question is how can you make money from the new model of photography that technology has created. But that’s another topic for another day =o)

3 comments:

PapaMark said...

The issue for me is not how to see your wonderful photos but where. I followed the link in this post to the B&R photo and was sure that I commented on it. No comments? I first thought you took them off, then realized that I put the comments on the Facebook one. I need to have a all inclusive place to go.

Bill said...

I agree. Just pick one. Not everyone who looks at them is on Facebook, so I have this blog too...the blog has RSS and Facebook doesn't...so both have merit.

psychobob said...

I haven't taken or had developed a role of film in...8 years?
But I have 8.5 gigs of pics I have taken (6.5 in the last two years since we went from an old Olympus to a D50).
However, I clean carpets for a couple who do professional photography who are overwhelmed with business. They do a fantastic job taking beautiful pictures. Pictures the average person cannot take. I think that will be the selling point. Sure Joe Shmoe can take all kinds of camera phone pics and even decent digitals, but he can't set up a professional camera and compose artistic pictures.