Friday, September 30, 2005

4 ½ Days Without Internet

I move tomorrow. The forecast is rain. That should be fun.

The Comcast guy can’t be at the house before Wednesday at noon. That means that I am going to be 4 ½ days without the internet. What am I going to do? I am not ashamed to say that I am addicted to the internet. I have been known to pull down 5GB of data in a 24 hour time period. That’s why I need more hard drives!

So, I may blog from work, I may write an entry or two at home and take it/them to work to post, or I may just take a break. I plan to blog about the success or failure of my wireless setup I am going to try and get working. I was a lot more optimistic before JD’s comment on my post about it:
JD said...
Keep the receipt for your wireless bridge. Not to be a party-pooper, but I had a bad experience with a few from fry's, and I ended up taking them all back and running cat5 afterall.

I certainly hope you have better luck than I did!
Hmm. That was not the most encouraging comment, but wiring is not an option for me. The products that I bought claim that they should do what I want. I guess only trying it will tell me for sure. Anyone out there have a success story of setting up a wireless bridge? I would think that bridging two wired networks wirelessly would be a fairly common request by users. And, now that 108 megabit speeds are available, bridging those 10/100 networks by a 108 megabit network seems like a great solution. No speed loss – in theory.

Well, I imagine I will have a need to be online before Wednesday and whenever I am online I digg, so you can watch my stories dugg to see what I’m checking out during my dry spell.

Wish me luck!

No comments: