Friday, July 29, 2005

Something old & Fantastic



Again, here is an old shot. This is not cropped, he was just really close :) Birds at Mt. Rainier are very friendly.

You might think from the title that I think this is a fantastic shot. Well, it's about as good of a shot of a Steller's Jay as I think I'll ever take, but fantastic might not be the right word. Fantastic is referring to my evening last night.

I came home from work fairly tired from a long day and plopped down in a chair. Mikayla instantly hopped up and stuggled with me for a few minutes. "Daddy came home! Daddy not sick anymore. I love you, Dadda." I could sit there all night. Dinner was raviolli and it was excellent. Krista took my plate when I was done and started trying to get Mikayla to tell me bye-bye. I was a little confused. Then I realized she and I were leaving. "Where are we going?", I asked. "You'll see" was the only response I could get. We went outside and got in the Explorer and Krista started driving. We went through Woodburn and got on I-5 northbound. I had about a dozen places/events going through my head when we left and they got narrower and narrower and we continued and places were past. I made a few guesses outloud, but Krista was not going to even give a hint.

Finally, we pulled into the Fry's Electronics parking lot. Weird. What could we be doing here? Well, that was short-lived and only for a joke. We pulled out of the parking lot and into the Regal Cinemas lot. "Ah ha!" Krista was taking me to see The Fantastic Four. I was very surprised and it was a lot of fun. We ended up eating dessert at Shari's afterwards also. It was very fun and exciting to be surprised like that. Thanks, honey!

As for the movie, I don't claim to be a good movie reviewer. I am very shallow in my movie wants. I like action, special effects, unexpected plot turns, a fun story, etc. Well, I was only a little dissapointed in the movie and even that only when comparing it to Spiderman. It was a lot of fun, had great special effects, lots of action, cheesey funny lines, etc. My only complaint is that the main climactic battle between the Fantastic Four and Doom I expected to be a preliminary conflict followed by some more plot development and then a bigger conflict for a finnish. If it had been Spiderman, that would have been the case. But, in order to keep all the character development, power discoveries, etc. AND have the conflict I would have liked to see, it would have needed to be a 4 hour long movie.

So, was it the best comic movie I've ever seen? No. Was it fun to watch and would I recommend and watch it again? Yes. What made it the most fun was the surprise. That was fun. I can't remember the last time a surprise was pulled on me to that scale. It's been a LONG time.

2 comments:

Krista said...

Glad you liked it! I almost gave it away with how many evenings it got put off because of you being sick/too tired. It was worth the wait though... sure shocked you! I guess I need to try to be more spontaneous. :)

Darlene said...

Bill, I love your photography! You have a way of capturing your subjects so the viewer feels like he's right there seeing the scene or object, and not just a photograph. You put a breath of life into them!

Best shot I've ever seen of a Stellar Jay; with so much detail and texture. And the tones in the Diamond Lake/Crater Lake sunset-- breathtaking.

As for movies, have you seen Kung Fu Hustle? Don't know if it's still in theaters in your area; if not, you should rent it, although then you miss all the audience feedback (ohs and ahs and laughter), which lets you voice what you feel, too. Absolutely fun! Lots of action, cheesy lines, character development...it has it all. Definitely not your typical Kung Fu movie, but rather a spoof on them, and what a great job doing that.

Glad to meet you! Keep up the great work!