Tuesday, November 15, 2005

Blogging From Lefty's

Today I posting from Lefty's in Salem while I wait to play their free no-limit Texas Hold'em tournament. They have wi-fi available for customers, so I brought my laptop with to keep me occupied while I wait. T minus 55 minutes.

A couple nights ago we watched "Catagory 7: The End of the World", a made-for-tv movie about a catagory 7 hurricane that hits Washington DC. To say it was dumb would be an outragious understatement. I knew it would be, but I guess I still had too high of expectations. I will relate one scene that I found particularly funny in a really dumb way:

At the FEMA-want-to-be's HQ all of the computers suddenly shut off, including the guy's laptop. All of the other appliances and lights stay on. He yells, "The T-1 went out!" At that point I fell on the floor laughing. He then went up to the attic of the building and had to reach around pipes to pull out two network cables that apparently were connected at one time. His huge task to bring power back to the computers by reconnecting the T-1 was plugging a male ethernet cable into a female jack at the end of another cable behind those pipes in the attic. Of course, his arm got stuck and the girl he had a crush on had to save him...the cable got plugged back in and magically the computers all turned back on and instantly had all the programs that were running before running again.

There were a lot of other terrible parts to the movie (I won't even start with the special effects), but that was the most memorable. Again, I don't expect much from made-for-tv movies, but I do expect more than that.

Well, it's now 6:20, my pizza is here at my table, and poker starts at 7. I must eat.

No comments: