Tuesday, August 23, 2005

Bill Me Later

I was browsing at RitzCamera.com, looking at flash units, when I noticed something. A "Bill Me Later" option on purchases over $250. You've heard of the no payments for 90 days thing before, but what makes this one different is that they are promoting it as a secure way to buy. Nevermind that each purchase is an 18% credit line at Chase Manhattan Bank, it's secure! All you do is give them some information to verify (address, last 4 of SSN, etc). No credit card numbers or bank account numbers given out, you just get a bill. And better yet, you don't have to make a payment for 90 days! And, ontop of all that, RitzCamera gives you 10% off your purchase of $250 or more if you use this payment option.

I think this is a low blow and an ingenious marketing technique. Companies want people to buy more and put it on credit. People want to feel secure online. Bingo, in steps Bill Me Later. I know this isn't the first time that a company uses the fear of ID theft, fraud, etc. to make money, but it's the first time I've seen it as a shopping cart option on a site I frequent. I think we are going to start seeing these things more and more. Anyone else seen something like this on a well-known website?

No comments: