Monday, August 15, 2005

Hard Drives

No, this isn’t a hard drive. This is a tiger at the Oregon Zoo. I really like my Canon 75-300 f/4-5.6 IS lens. I shot this at 1/125s and ISO 200. The image stabilization is simply amazing in Canon lenses. For anyone out there with a Canon SLR, go for the IS!

Mikayla had slightly higher expectations at the Zoo than we could deliver. When she was looking at the tiger, she said, “I go in there?” Try to explain to a 2yr old that going in to pet tigers isn’t a good idea. It was interesting. We got to thinking though, her previous experiences with animals include going to the Alpaca ranch in Tenino where she gets to chase, pet, etc. all the animals. Why not at the Zoo? 2yr old logic is really fun.

Yes, I guess since this post is titled “Hard Drives” I should at least touch the topic. Let me just put this simply, I have hard drive issues. I never have enough. I can’t throw anything away….and I can’t delete anything either ;)

It’s sick when I add up my active HDs in my machines: 160 + 160 + 200 + 250 + 40 + 17 + 20 + 20 = 867 GB. That doesn’t count Krista’s computer. Nearly a terabyte of data storage and I run out? Well, right now I have a good 200 GB free. I just can’t throw anything out. Photos, music, documents, tv, home movies, etc. – it just adds up. Then there is the backup of the important stuff that I want on both my machine and my server.

I just need and endless supply of hard disk space. Gmail is great because they keep increasing my storage limit. I don’t have to ever delete an e-mail. See, I want to never have to delete a file.

For those of you who delete out there, how do you do it? How can you part with data? Data that you may never be able to get again? Is this a problem that just I have or do other people out there suffer from the same disease?

BTW, I only have 500MB left on my 20GB iPod…

1 comment:

Krista said...

I'll help you delete... :)