Wednesday, August 24, 2005

Pocket Rockets Fall to 96os

Last night was Lefty's Poker Night and I managed to go. The night started off well and only 25 minutes in I peaked at my hole cards and they were Pocket Rockets (AA). I kept my poker face on, but inside I was jumping for joy. To make things better, I was the big blind. Everyone folded except the little blind, he took his 50 he had in the pot and made it 100 to call the big blind. I raised it (making it 200, that's the only raise I could make playing limit hold'em) and he called. I didn't put him on great cards. The flop came 995 rainbow. This was very good for me, unless my opponent had a 9. Now, being the small blind (and chip leader at the table), he could play a 9, but I thought it was unlikely. He checked the flop and I bet and he called. The turn was a 2 and the small blind bet, I raised, he re-raised, and I called. I was worried that he may have made a set of two's. Now I was pot commited - I had 900 of my 1475 chips in the pot. The river was useless (but no straight possible, no flush possible) and he checked, I bet, he raised, and I called. I lost 1300 chips to a 96 off suit holding AA. It was sickening. I blame it on the limit poker as opposed to no-limit and my inability to lay down good cards when I should be scared by the cards on the table. I'm barely a no-limit player and I am most certainly not a limit player. On a positive note, I was home by 8pm.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

And I've adopted a different strategy for playing limit hold'em: try to lose. At 745pm I realized I had a pretty large chip stack to get through so that I could pick someone up at the airport. (roughly 2500) So I started throwing money in like crazy, expecting to lose a lot of it. And lose I did. Although my hands weren't that bad (QQ, AKs, JJ), I called a bunch of all-ins that got lucky and doubled up against me. By 8pm, I was down to 200 chips; pretty easy to lose, right? Between 8pm and 820pm I was all-in no less than five times. A few double and triple-ups later, I was up to 8000! By then I knew I needed to get going, so I played quite aggressively, and finished in my now-typical fourth position. What did I learn? It doesn't matter how I play; I'm always going to get fourth, one short of the elusive Lefty's hat.

And for what its worth, two of my double ups were against the guy that got lucky with the 96os, if that's any consolation :)